This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Converting my InstallScript project to Basic MSI p

7 replies to this topic

haroldxious

haroldxious
  • Full Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:34

I have my old installer using setup.exe, when i need to install it in group policy i need to make it an msi project. ive decided to make it a basic msi project.

i dont know how to use installshield 12 yet..im new in developing an installer, can you give me a step by step solution on this?

the only thing i have is the codes from the installscript project.

any help would be very muc appreciated.

thank you very much

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:01

Personally I used the "Macrovision Training" Guide:
"Learning MSI Projects Using InstallShield 12" written by Robert Dickau.
www.macrovision.com
Good Luck

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 18:17

There are project type conversion options in InstallShield 12, and I believe there's a KB article that describes your scenario. However these converters are limited, and the cleanest way might be to start over.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 22:09

I had to do this once and I believe I ended up creating a blank basic MSI project and then exporting each component from the Installscript MSI project into the new basic MSI project using an option called "Export into project" or something like that (right click component). That way I kept the component GUID's consistent.

There was also a tool available, but that simply removed all Installscript MSI event handlers and custom actions and left a seemingly clean basic MSI project. I didn't trust this and went for a clean basic MSI project and would recommend you do the same.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

haroldxious

haroldxious
  • Full Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:35

basically ill be starting all over again..the thing is im not the one who made the installscript project but i am the one who will convert it on the basic msi...all i have now is the components and the scripts..

can i reuse the scripts of my project? if yes how?

haroldxious

haroldxious
  • Full Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:40

QUOTE (kgiloo @ 2007-01-16 08:01)
Personally I used the "Macrovision Training" Guide:
"Learning MSI Projects Using InstallShield 12" written by Robert Dickau.
www.macrovision.com
Good Luck

yah i guess thats a big help if i have the training guide but i dont have the money to buy it. so im stuck in trial and error

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:30

There were a lot of customed things I used to do with my pure InstallScript project.

I reminds me of my own situation few months ago and I had to start from scratch, I guess this is the best you have to do.

Regarding the Learning Guide, well it's worth the money for a good start, maybe someone would suggest a cheaper one(?)

Once you understood how to think "MSI" as Stefan suggested at my very beginning, the forums will give you a precious help.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:02

The golden rule of MSI is to "think MSI" and adapt your application to not break basic MSI principles. The learning curve can be steep, but if you follow the rules of deployment A LOT of functionality "comes for free" with MSI.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul