This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Release Issue

3 replies to this topic

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 20:54

I apologies for asking a non InstallShield question overhere, but I thought you would be the right people to ask this question from.
What is the best software to maintain a project and its dependencies, from the release point of view? We are presently using Visual Source Safe for the source maintainance. But now we want to track which version of EXE was released along with which DLLs/OCXs.. .. Is there a third party software to do this?
Thanks for your input
sincerely

prozacrefugee

prozacrefugee
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 22:57

We've been looking for something similar at my company, but haven't found anything to link component dependencies like I believe you're asking.  We're developing something in house at this point, using a webapp front end connected to a database to try and track which product version goes with what component which goes with what sub component etc. ad nauseum.

Let me know if you find any off the shelf solutions!

vuttex

vuttex
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 14:54

My suggestion is to use IS Pro for you release. Here you can use the cabinet file viewer to create a report file of all files inluded in the setup.

Create a label in sourcesafe and check in the report file created with IS Pro. Freeze the label.

vuttex

vuttex
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 14:59

The report file inludes File Name, Size, Compressed Size, Date, Version, MD5 Signature for each file included in you setup.