This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

creating my own merge module?

3 replies to this topic

mdc

mdc
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 17:20

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me with a couple questions.

A little background. I'm writing a basic msi installer using InstallShield X. The install needs a bunch of files from another companies install.

Questions:

What is the best way for me to distrubute these files from the other company?

- at first I was thinking that I may want to silently launch their setup.exe from within my Install.

- not quite sure how to do that. If it's possible please let me know or point me in the general direction of how to do so.

- I'm leaning towards creating a merge module with their files in it for my InstallShield. Whould this be the correct thing to do? Any tips on how to create merge modules?

Thanks,

mdc

russellperry

russellperry
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 18:16

The recommended way is to author your own merge module, as you suggested. If you have all the files from the third-party install, and know that you can recreate all reg entries, ini entries, etc. -- all the processes involved in the external install -- then this is very simple to do. Just create a new "Merge Module" project in InstallShield (hit ctl-N and select "Merge Module Project") and author the install, add files and registry entries, just as you would in any other project, and compile it. The compiler will distribute the final results to your merge module directory, which will cause the module to appear in your original install's "Redistributables" list. Check that module, and it will be included in your next compile.

To launch an application silently, use a type-2 custom action, adding the appropriate command line argument for silent execution to the "Command Line" property of the action. I'd set InstallExecSequence to "First Action," and be sure to set the InstallExec condition to "NOT Installed," or the setup will run on uninstall as well.

But using a merge module is the best method. Running from a custom action means that the third party components will not be uninstalled when your product is uninstalled, and won't be monitored by the Repair Service, to name a few issues.

mdc

mdc
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 19:11

Thank you very much. That is exactly the info I was looking for! I really appreciate it!

Ok, maybe you can answer my next question. My IS project will actually be 2 different projects. One for each Install of 2 different applications. How do I build the initial dialog that allows the user to select which product they want to install?

Thanks again,

Mike

russellperry

russellperry
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 19:57

If your project is a suite of programs, like, for instance, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), then you're looking at two different "Features."

Under the "Setup Design" node, right-click and select "New Feature" and name it appropriatley. Then use the Add Component wizard (I highly recommend the wizard -- right-click on the Feature and select "Component Wizard...") to add files and such to the two Features/Programs. The choice of Features will be presented to the end user for selection at install time.