This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing a .NET Service

4 replies to this topic

Chelley

Chelley
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 15:33

Hi

I need to be able to install a .NET service but how do I do it?

Do I just install it as a normal service? The developer seems to think I need to run installutil.exe against the .exe name to install it but we're trying to get away from having to do custom actions. Surely with all the .NET stuff that seems to be included in Installshield there is a way of installing a .NET service.

I'm using Developer 8 by the way.

Please help!!!
Michelle

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 14:00

As far as I know you can't install a .NET service using the Service tables in Windows Installer so you will need to use a custom action.

PatrickJ

PatrickJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:23

Yes you can. In your installer project go to components and navigate to that component that should be installed as service.
Go to Extended Settings / Install NT Service and Create a new entry using right click on NT Services. Name it as your service will be named in service control panel. Configure the entry.
After that you can go the function Control NT Services and create a new entry (same name). Here you can define what to do during install and uninstall.

Regards
Patrick

Oh I just saw your "I'm using developer 8". Don't know if this works with that. I am using IS 10.5 and it works great.

Edited by PatrickJ, 30 July 2005 - 07:25.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:58

That's the way to install services in general. But I thought that only works for Win32 services, not for .NET services. Patrick, can yu confirm this works for you for services that are built on the .NET framework?

PatrickJ

PatrickJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:06

Yes I can. I just did it this way and it works with installshield 10.5.

Patrick