This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to make a good update

1 reply to this topic

Master-Generic

Master-Generic
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:11

Hello,

I would like to develop an update for my software (just some files have to be changed and registry entries to be modified) but don't know how.

I downloaded the Evaluation Version of Installshield Express and have made several tests but still couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I would like to have on update file which is able to update all former versions.

Is it also possible to combine an update with a normal install application?
So, is it possible to create one normal installation file for following circumstances:
- No previous version of our product is installed => normal installation
- A previous version is installed and older than the one to install => determine necessary changes and update
- A previous version is installed however it is the latest version or the one to install is older => do nothing

If yes, which Tool shall I use best?

Hope you can give me some advices...
Thank's a lot

Bjoern Michalik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:18

Yes that's possible. However if you build it in Express, the new version will completely replace the existing version (automatic uninstall of the old version). If you use InstallShield DevStudio instead you can make it replace only the updated files. Note that this doesn't make a difference for the download size.

If no older version is installed, both will perform a full install.