This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add new Feature thro' Patch - problem

1 reply to this topic

kpravin

kpravin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 13:33

Hello,

I am using Windows Installer 2.0 to create and run minor upgrade(patch).
I am modifying upgraded MSI file through my code so that it will add a new feature with one component in it. When I run this upgraded MSI, it installs that new feature as expected. But when I genrate a patch using MsiMsp.exe and applies it to my local installation, the patch fails to install the new feature. When I run the patched MSI in maintainance/modify mode, it shows me the new feature there but it is disabled. If I enable that new feature in modify mode and install, the new feature get installed.

I am not able to figure out why the patch disables the new Feature, and because of that it is not installing anything from that feature. I have tried ADDLOCAL=NewFeature and the attributes in Feature table are correct as per the MSI help.

The entries in Feature, Component, FeatureComponents and File table are correct.
If I add a new component in existing feature, my patch installs it properly.

Am i missing something? Or if anybody would like to advise me the correct way of adding new features through patch it will be very nice.

Thanks,
Pravin

kpravin

kpravin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 17:32

I got the solution for above problem.

What all you have to do is to add your all existing feature names to REINSTALL property.

The command line looks like this:
msiexec /p <patch file> ADDLOCAL=<NewFeature> REINSTALL=<All existing features> REINSTALLMODE=omus

Some Qs regarding this:

Why I need to put all existing feature names in REINSTALL property, eventhough I am not modifying any of the existing feature? Even REINSTALL=ALL don't work in this case.

Is there any way to eliminate the command line thing, so that I can directly run the .msp file to apply the patch?

Is it mandatory to provide some exe (Update.exe) with the patch which has this command line logic inside?

Cheers and Thanks in advance !!
:)
Pravin