This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield modifying HKCU registry

4 replies to this topic

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 23:28

Hello All,
When my product is installed, I see that on reboot, the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
is modified.

The data for value Desktop in this key was initially D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop, and after the install and reboot, it was changed to D:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop.

This was observed in Win2k machines. However, on WinXP, the value was changed to some directory in system32.

Is there any explanation to this behavior? It seems like InstallShield is touching these registry values. Does anyone know why?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vishwa

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 14:49

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is for the currently logged on user. So if the logged on user changes after the reboot this would be perfectly okay. Double check HKEY_USERS to see if the value really changed.

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 18:02

Actually, I installed using the local administrator account, and after installation and reboot, I again logged in as the same local admin.
So, for the same user, the value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER is changed.
The value in HKEY_USERS is not changed.

One more thing that I noticed after reading your post is that the new value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER after the reboot is actually the value found in HKEY_USERS. So, either installshield, or windows is copying over the values from HKEY_USERS to HKEY_CURRENT_USER as soon as the reboot is done after installation.

Please throw some more light on what might be happening.

Thanks,
Vishwa

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 16:36

I have no idea what's going on there, sorry.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 17:36

The default user profile is the profile given to a fresh user created on the target system. As such changing it can ensure that certain data gets copied to new users profiles. It sounds like an update to the default user profile somehow has targeted the wrong registry hive. I would check any custom actions and all registry entries.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul