This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Hiding Features

5 replies to this topic

RaymondHallReid

RaymondHallReid
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:27

Hi All,

I have a problem which I was hoping someone out there could just push me in the right direction. I have a test project which I want to get working before I do the real thing. I am using Installshield Developer 8 SP2 to create an Installshield MSI project. I am using the customer information dialog to enter a customer code, and a serial number. The serial number is validated when the next button is pushed, and this shows the custom setup dialog. The serial number should dictate which of the features are available to the customer. This is where my problems begin:

1) I use Install levels and I change the features that I don't use to be higher than the install level of the project. This installs fine, and I am happy about this apart from the fact that the features that the customer shouldn't have access to are shown, and the user can select them to install (This is a no no).

2) I am doing the same as part 1, apart from the fact that the features that the customer hasn;t got access to, I am changing the install level of these features to zero. When showing the custom setup dialog, this works wonders as the dialog only shows features that the customer has bought. Bad news is that the installation complete successfully, but never installs any files.

Has anyone done this before, and if so can you give me a push in the right direction. I feel that I am nearly there, but not quite.

Kind Regards

Raymond Hall-Reid

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 16:05

QUOTE (RaymondHallReid @ 2003-09-11 12:27)
Installshield MSI project.

"InstallScript MSI" or "Basic MSI" ?

(Please avoid cross posting. I have removed your duplicate posts)

RaymondHallReid

RaymondHallReid
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 16:08

Sorry, Basic MSI

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 08:59

Solution 2 will require that your serial number dialog is inserted before the CostFinalize action because feature conditions are evaluated at that stage.
A log file should tell you why nothing gets installed.

RaymondHallReid

RaymondHallReid
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 12:39

I have tried this. Even thou one of the features isn;t showing, and I go ahead to install the purchased feature - No files are put down. I have tried to look in the log file, but to avail. Don;t know how to send log file with this. Is there anywhere where I can get information on this, or could someone send me an example of a project that they have done with regards to this issue.

Any ideas?

kind regards

Raymond Hall-Reid

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:23

If you reply to this message, there's an option to attach a file (please ZIP the log)