This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

WARNING! Bug with MsiProcessMessage

2 replies to this topic

Generous

Generous
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 15:10

I don't found official description and work arrouns of this bug...

1. MsiProcessMessage don't work fine in CustomAction executed with DoAction on Button control. Its return 0 and do nothing - you can't write log, show message box and another tasks. :(

2. If you call second CustomAction (using MsiDoAction) from CustomAction (Publish Events on Button control) and call MsiProcessMessage in this (second) action it do nothing and no return to caller - installation was halted and you must use TaskManager to kill msiexec processes. :angry:

Anyone know how to fix it? ???
Evgeny Ushkaloff

Senior Software Developer / Setup Coordinator
Aelita Software Corporation
www.aelita.com

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 19:08

It's not a bug - it's documented. From MSI Help topic "DoAction ControlEvent":

Note that custom actions launched by the DoAction control event cannot send messages with MsiProcessMessage or Message method.

Generous

Generous
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 07:03

Yes... It's true.
But it's valid for first case and it's work fine - do nothing and return to caller.

But in second case - it's very bad style: don't return to caller - may be this is bug?

How to detect in CustomAction that is launch from another CustomAction called by Button?

I have only one not very good idea:
1. Setting some property (i.e. _CalledFromDoAction) to 1
2. Call MsiDoAction(...) - in this action check _CalledFromDoAction and not execute MsiProcessMessage functions if it = 1.
3. Setting _CalledFromDoAction to nothing.

Sorry my bad english...
Evgeny Ushkaloff

Senior Software Developer / Setup Coordinator
Aelita Software Corporation
www.aelita.com