This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installing SQL express 2005 with another setup

2 replies to this topic

kittu_s

kittu_s
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 13:48

We are facing a problem while installing SQL Express along with pubtool setup.
I took the following approach for SQL installation

1.Dumping the SQLEXPR.EXE into temp location while doing initial setup process.
2.If the SQL express is not installed on that machine invoking the SQLEXPR.EXE using custom action. This custom action sequenced after AppSearch.
3.This is giving an error “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING” after extracting the SQL exe.

This error occurs because “Microsoft Windows Installer can only run one installation at a time unless it is a nested installation”.
Can you please suggest is there any other way to install SQL Express along with our setup.

The whole idea is our setup should install SQL Express 2005 (if not exists) along with our project files.

Note: we are not using any tools like installsheild,orca and wise installar.
We are writing xml and mdf files then building msi using windows installar dlls.

Thanks & Regards
Krishna.S

micmit

micmit
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:48

I am not sure whether original post belongs to this topic, but I am also interested how can I combine installation of my C# reference application ( mainly read only ) with SQL express 2005 setup + populating all tables without degrading a user experience . Prior to that it was Visual Foxpro application which was installed using Wise Installer. So my question is how feasible to make installation of combination application + .Net 2 + SQL Express 2005 look like a standard Windows desktop installation, or at least not to frighten a client with the sequence of separate executables looking differently and asking to accept/decline something.

TIA
Michael

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:32

Moving topic to General MSI questions.