This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

HKEY_CURRENT_USER vs HKEY_USERS

4 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:27

Hi all,

In my absence, our install was modified - all registry entries under HKCU were moved to HKU in our installation build template. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I don't know why it was done, but everything was moved under HKU\.Default. I thought this was hit when a new user was added. I'm wondering if by placing the values under HKU\.Default, they will be available when an existing user installs and uses the product.

Any info on this would be more than GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks Much!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 13:54

I thought this was hit when a new user was added.
That's my understanding, too. So I expect that these entries will not be available to existing users (under their HKCU). But if you want to be 100% sure, better test it.

Note: if your application wants to read the entries from HKU/.Default instead of HKCU then it's a different story.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 15:08

What do you mean it will be a different story if our application reads the keys. You don't mean it should resolve properly, but that there should be a problem, right?

Yeah, testing is going to be the key here. Unfortunately, a release went out to the field with this change just before I was called back to were here.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 18:43

I mean your setup should put the data where the application needs it to be. So if the application is looking in .Default then you should put it there. But from your question I guess the application is looking under HKCU, right?

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 22:45

Yes, it always did look under HKCU.

I'm just wondering if, worst case scenario, I have to coninue down this path of writing stuff to HKU to sidestep the need for repair if that is a good solution.

I can't really find anything on this and most have said they've never seen an installer have to write stuff to HKU.