This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Visual Studio .Net setup project

8 replies to this topic

DaAmazing1

DaAmazing1
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 21:44

I am using the Visual Studio .Net Development environment to creat my deployment package and everything is going smooth, that is until I try to use the MSDE merge modules. When I add them then try to run the setup it comes up with:

"The installer was interrupted before Blah could be installed. You need to restart the installer and try again" with a close button

Any help would be great! I have no idea why this is comming up...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 15:53

Create a verbose log file of your setup to get more information about the problem. Then go to the Bugs Bulletin for merge modules here on InstallSite and see if you're running into one of the many known issues with MSDE modules.

nitesoul

nitesoul
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 15:50

Hey,

I get the same error message when trying to install my application, with a MSDE merge module

I am using WinXP, VS.NET and MSDE sp3

The log file ends with:
Property©: SOURCEDIR = C:\dev\MyApplication\Release\
Property©: VersionHandler = 2.00
Property©: UILevel = 5
Property©: ACTION = INSTALL
Property©: EXECUTEACTION = INSTALL
=== Logging stopped: 2003-05-12 16:24:29 ===
MSI © (D4:D8): Note: 1: 1708
MSI © (D4:D8): Product: MyApplication -- Installation failed.

MSI © (D4:D8): Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI © (D4:D8): Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI © (D4:D8): MainEngineThread is returning 1603

MSDN error code page says:

ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE 1603 A fatal error occurred during installation.

The only thing I can find on this site with this error code is:
"Setup with MSDE Merge Modules May Fail During Initialization (SQLCAX.DLL)" but my log looks different from what is shown here.

Anyone have a clue what could cause this?

thanks!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 16:09

1603 is only the final outcome of a failed installation. There must be (one or more) other errors above these lines

nitesoul

nitesoul
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 16:23

Yeah.. heh sorry...

Ok.. so this is where the first error occure in my log:

But I can't find anything on this site or on the MSDN-site about this error... or can it be the error "Setup with MSDE Merge Modules May Fail During Initialization (SQLCAX.DLL)" ?

thanks!

...my log:

I © (D4:D8): Skipping action: ErrorCodeIE.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B (condition is false)
MSI © (D4:D8): Skipping action: FatalErrorIE.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B (condition is false)
MSI © (D4:D8): Doing action: GetSqlStates.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B
Action start 16:24:26: GetSqlStates.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B.
MSI © (D4:D8): Creating MSIHANDLE (1) of type 790542 for thread 3544
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Setup.{16EE0A42-B815-42C7-8252-590A3AAFB61B}
Failed to determine supports files directory in LoadSqlLibrary
Action ended 16:24:27: GetSqlStates.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B. Return value 3.
MSI © (D4:D8): Doing action: FatalErrorForm
Action start 16:24:27: FatalErrorForm.
Info 2898. VSI_MS_Sans_Serif13.0_0_0, MS Sans Serif, 0
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control Line1 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, Line1, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control Line2 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, Line2, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control BannerBmp on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, BannerBmp, to the right

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 18:11

I'm not sure. It's not identical, but looks similar: The error occurs in custom action GetSqlStates. In your case it complains about "Failed to determine supports files directory in LoadSqlLibrary" while in the Bugs Bulletin it complains about beiing unable to load sqlcax.dll (which is a support file).

nitesoul

nitesoul
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:20

ok hmm...

I guess I'll have to continue with my trial and error process =/

Any idea what this error is all about?

"DEBUG: Error 2826: Control Line2 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels"

(I am using visual studio installer)

thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 12:49

There's a prolem with the layout of your dialog- a line is 3 pixels outside the dialog. This is only a cosmetic problem.

shippy

shippy
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 22:56

After a frustrating couple of hours debugging this problem, I finally have a working MSI file created in Visual Studio .NET that installs MSDE with the merge modules. The two main things I had to do were:

(1) In the InstallExecuteSequence table and the InstallUISequence table, make sure that the action StreamSupportFiles comes before GetSQLStates and

(2) In the InstallExecuteTable set the action RemoveExistingProducts to be the very last action executed.

You will also need to get around the blank sa password problem with SP3. Let me know if you need to know how to do that.

Good luck.