This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launch another installation

1 reply to this topic

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 16:04

Hello,
I have a strange question. My situation is: I have an installation package which should apply a service pack. Unfortunatelly I haven't any information about this service pack. I have only .exe file and codes of the original product. I have compared this install package and the original install package. I detected that files data1.cab, data1.hdr and  layout.bin have new time then most of other files. I think  the utility iscab.exe was used to recreate data1.cab file which has now only newer files. But I didn't detect a setup.exe file. Maybe this installation launch from another installation by DoInstall?  I detected several new files SvcPack.bin, SvcPack.exe, install.ini (which are not in the original install package). Looks like the SvcPack.exe is an executable VC or VB file which checks a version number of the existing product and apply the service pack if it's possible or shows message box "Couldn't apply this service pack". I think the SvcPack.exe execute a installation with the same name  which execute the service pack installation. But I have for this only two files SvcPack.bin and install.ini. The content of the install.ini file is:
[SvcPackInstall]
Action=SvcPack
OldVer=V7.6 B
NewVer=V7.6 C
SPVer=SP1
SPInfo=76B_76C_SP1
SPEffDate=20010205
SPEffTime=165426
Is it possible to run an installation only with .bin and .ini file? Because looks like SvcPack.bin file was Setup.exe file before.
Can anybode help me with this detective situation?
Can anybode understand how it's work?
it is very important for me, because I should create new service pack for the next release of our product.
Thank you for advance.

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 15:58

Hi,
Don't worry about this.  My collegue renamed only setup.exe file to svcpack.bin. He was faired and I wasted a lit of time to understand this.