This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

RemoveExistingProducts fails during a major upgra

4 replies to this topic

ardeleanu

ardeleanu
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 15:01

Hi All,

First of all, I'm using Installshield Developer 7.04 on Win 2000 SP2 machine. I created a major upgrade setup (standard project) following the steps from the IS help. All seems to be working well: detecting the old product code, trying to remove the specified feature in Remove column of the Upgrade table but the RemoveExistingProducts fails and the uninstallation rollbacks.

Ex setup log:
..... All these information are correct
Action start 6.04.12: RemoveExistingProducts.
Action 6.04.12: RemoveExistingProducts. Removing applications
RemoveExistingProducts: Application: {0E4449F8-60B4-4B57-8579-0FEB9FDBF9AE}, Command line: UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE={2DCF4D95-6323-4B16-A53E-7EA339AF9721} REMOVE=ALL
RemoveFolders: Folder: I:\Program Files\Theme\images\buttons\
Action 6.05.02: OnInstallFilesActionBefore.
Action 6.05.02: InstallFiles. Copying new files
Action 6.05.02: OnInstallFilesActionAfter.
Action 6.05.02: ISSelfRegisterFiles.
Action 6.05.03: OnFeaturesInstalled.
Action 6.05.03: OnMoved.
1: Invoke Function fails, Error = 0x8000ffff
Action ended 6.05.03: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 6.05.03: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Rollback: OnMoved
Rollback: OnFeaturesInstalled....

If I use as attribute msidbUpgradeAttributesIgnoreRemoveFailure the upgrade continues but I have two entries in Add/Remove Programs, so the old product is not uninstalled.

I found that the old product setup has in OnMoved event the IS script Enable(Logging). If I remove this script the upgrade works fine.

Since there are already customers that have the previous setup installed I need to find a way to solve this upgrade issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Claudia Ardeleanu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 11:00

Is it possible to uninstall the old version from Control Panel, or is this uninstall failing, too?

ardeleanu

ardeleanu
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 14:07

From Add/Remove Programs the uninstallation works well. Just when using the custom action RemovingExistingProducts or the msiexec.exe /x{product code} the uninstallation fails.

Claudia Ardeleanu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 14:12

In this case you might be able to invoke the uninstall of the old version with the same command line as in the uninstall registry key before you start the file copy process of the new version.

ardeleanu

ardeleanu
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 15:51

Hi Stefan,

Actually, now I'm using the idriver.exe with command line to have an workaround of this problem. I've just wanted to know if there is another fix so I don't care about all uninstalling aspects (silent, reboot or not etc).

Thank you,
Claudia Ardeleanu