This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installer created by installshield returned error

3 replies to this topic

shiping

shiping
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:14

I'm experiencing annoying error message "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or
remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel" when I launch msi file with version number 2.7.1 after 2.7.0 was already installed on the machine. I'm expecting it provide me option of upgrade rather than "another version installed".

However I don't have any problem when upgrading from version 2.6 to 2.7. Only the third field of version number doesn't work.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:25

The important difference is whether you changed the ProductCode (making it a Major Upgrade) or not (so it's a Minor Update). The first update type is supported by Windows Installer (you need to add a Major Upgrade entry under Releases > Updates). The latter needs the help of a setup.exe. So if you launch your setup using the setup.exe (instead of double clicking the .msi file) it should work. However you can configure this Minor Update behaviour under Releases > Updates. If update support is turned off there, then you'll get the error message.

shiping

shiping
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:37

Thank you for the quick reply.
I didn't change product code and upgrade code. I only change product version. I believe package code was changed automatically by installshield. My question is: Why Windows detect version changes by the first two fields rather than three fields of version number.

I have problem with the minor upgrade proposed in the website:
http://www.msigeek.c...g-installshield
in the installation directory I have one file will be modified by iinstallation dialogs. If I follow the way mentioned above, this file will not be modified since we did not go through those dialogs.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:40

The version number doesn't make the difference. There must be something else that's different, either in your setup or in the way you launch it.

You can show dialogs in a minor update. However you shouldn't modify the target system during the dialog sequence. If your setup runs in silent mode, the dialog sequence is skipped altogether (even during initial install).