This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield training, how do these courses rate?

2 replies to this topic

dlavallee

dlavallee
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:25

I am new to InstallShield, but am lucky enough to have an employer that is willing to pay for training.

Does anyone have experience with the training available from Flexera?

Specifically, these courses:

1) Learning MSI Projects Using InstallShield
2) Advanced Windows Installer (MSI) Using InstallShield

They are expensive, and I wouldn't want to have my company waste money; however, if they are very good it might be worth the investment.

Thanks,

Dave

itsvnay

itsvnay
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:49

I am seeking for InstallShield MSI training. Any recommendation?

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 18:09

First, I would like to say that I have not taken any of these classes. However looking at the syllabus, I would guess that these would be like ay other class you may have taken in college where you were familiar with the subject matter going in. I would expect that you would go over some information you already know and learn some useful things you did not know. Perhaps things that are more advanced and are less likely to be learned by trial and error or self-taught methods. If you take them, I would be interested in your opinion. I have been eying them myself but for more than $2000 and the required travel (for me), I do not think my company would want to spend the money unless they knew it was worth it.

Strictly speaking, the courses will probably save you a great deal of research time in the future. I know that I can spend weeks on some projects. How much does that cost your company in salary when you have to figure out how to do something rather than simply implementing the solution? It can add up fast. I would suggest that if you really want to take these classes, that you put together some cost analysis for your manager. Time spent on a problem vs time potentially saved and then equate that to dollars. Once you go over the cost of the class, you will have a better chance of taking it.