This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

User Interface VS Execute sequence Properties

6 replies to this topic

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 21:16

HI

I have run into an issue: I set a MSI Property in custom action that is called in the execute sequence, and I want, at the SetupCompleteSucess, to launch 2 applications installed with the setup depending on the MSI Property that I have just set (in the execute sequence).

It seems that the value set in the execute sequence for my MSI property is not taken into consideration at SetupCompleteSucces.

I have tried to set it in another custom action called during User Interface sequence (let's say at click on a button on a dialog) and the value set for the property in this mode gets into the SetupCompleteSucces correctly.

What is the differrence between setting a property in UserInterface sequence or in the Execute section ? How can I "read" the value of a "execute seqence property" in the User Interface seqeunce?

I'm using Install Shiled 11 and a Basic MSI Project.
Thanks for all the help

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:14

Properties set in the Execute sequence are not sent back to the UI sequence. This is a design limitation of Windows Installer. You could instead set a registry entry or write to a temp file that yu can later read in the UI sequence.

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:04

Hi,

Thanks for the answer but, I still have a problem.
As I tried to present my problem, to be able read from the registry, I need a code written in the script file right? So, to call that code I must call it in the UI Sequence, in my case, I cannot call that function (through CustomAction) in one previous Dialog, instead “Finish Dialog”, because it will be too soon for me. My custom action is called, let’s suppose, before “Install Finalize” and if I call the function in one window before some custom actions, which set up some properties, I cannot have those properties available yet.
You say that, on the “Finish Dialog” to call a custom action which read the value which has been set up in the execute sequence, BUT, as far as I know, at that moment, nothing from setup.rul script cannot be executed – I know that only the properties are taken in consideration in that moment but a InstallScript Custom Action cannot be executed.

Thank you very much for the support and I’m looking forward for another solution or idea 

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:32

Indeed, when the Finish dialog si displayed, the InstalLScript engine is already shut down. You could restart the engine. But in my opinion it's preferrable to use a DLL instead of InstallScript.

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:32

Hi,

The only solution that I can see it is to write in to a file (suppose a *.ini file), or write in registry, and then, at the end of the installation, on Finish Dialog, call and EXE custom action, with the product installed, or something ... it doesn't like a good solution anyway.
One more question, where can i found or, it would be much better if you already know, what kind of custom actions are taking in consideration after the engine is stoped, becasue we already know that Installscript custom actions are not taken in consideration. i have tried some documentaiton, but without success.

Thanks again!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 13:31

All other types of custom actions shuold work: running an exe, calling a function in a dll, running a VBScript or JavaScript.

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 13:36

Thank you Sir for support, I really appreciate.