This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Remote Patches

4 replies to this topic

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 20:09

Hey guys;

I've been having a problem with an extremely rare bug. Our techs use Net Meeting to run patches on clients' systems. In three possibly four cases they have reported that instead of replacing the needed files, it has erased the files without installing the new copies.

I have tested and tested different situations and it never has occured for me. I have been able to screw things up using Terminal Services, but supposedly the techs never use TS.

the really odd part of this is I have a function in my Patch that reports if any files are locked to alleviate the need for reboots. Again the techs reported everything went just fine until the end when things that were working were then broken. Plus, I have pretty extension reporting for my log file. The log file only shows 5-7 files were replaced, no errors or warnings. Those 5-7 files are replaced but other files not mentioned are just gone.

Any help, suggested tests, ideas, or similar rants would be greatly appreciated.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Ozone

Ozone
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 22:51

It is difficult to know what is happening during an installation without a log of activities. You may want to begin logging the return results into a log file to help you debug the install. So often, the end user tells you what appears to have happened, but they do not have a clue. A log file will tell you exactly what did happen. In your explanation, you mention that the files are removed but not copied. You could add code to log the results of the Copy()/XCopy() functions to see if they failed and why.

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 16:20

Actually I do log everything pretty extensively. I'm using an event based install and log entires in OnMoving(), OnInstallingFile(), FileReadOnly(), FileLocked(), Abort(), Cancelling(), FileError(), Self-RegistrationError().

But this is not helping, no information is reported in my log file. The only info in the the log file is the installation of IS system files, and then a listing of 5-7 files that were replaced (normally 25-30 files are replaced). There is no other information put into my log file.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Ozone

Ozone
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 17:40

Do your techs install from the same PC, using Net Meeting, to other PC’s over and over again? I think that if you delete the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{YourGUIDnumber-Here} folder on the tech’s PC between each instance of patches, that it might solve your problem.

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 17:38

Yes the techs do use Net Meeting from the same computers in house to Patch different PC's in the field. Also, the techs in house system does have our product installed on it as well.

However, I don't believe that is the problem due to several reasons

A. The patch is downloaded to the field system, and is launched remotely

B. If the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{YourGUIDnumber-Here} is causing the problem, the Set-up would be launched into Maintenace Mode.

C. Lastly, these in house machines are being used over and over again on many patches out in the field, but this error has only occured on 3 occasions (once being the demo machine in-house). If it were something caused by that folder, I believe it would happen every time.

Thanks for your suggestion, and if I'm missing something please let me know. smile.gif