This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade

1 reply to this topic

FPSStephen

FPSStephen
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 20:49

I'm doing a major upgrade which removes the previous install after the new and it works fine.  The only problem is I don't want the upgrade to overwrite files for a particular feature.  How do I do this?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 10:46

If the files are .exe with version the component will only be updated if the version has changed.

It the files do not have versions then the files will not be overwritten if the existing file modification date is later than the creation date.  (It does not depend on the date of the new file).

However if your file updating functions in youer application do delete/rename old file, create completely new file then you have a problem beacuse the installer can not tell if it is modified or not.

A way around this is to put the file that must not be modified into a component then create a registry key as the 'keyfile' for the component.  This component is only installed it the registry key is present so this file will not be updated.