This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

cached web download

1 reply to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:30

Using InstallShield dev 8, I make a web build (on exe).
I don't want to select the option "cache web download" because if I do that the user disk will be encumbered not only with the installed application but also with the cached web download. Si if the complete installation requires 100Mbytes, a web installation will requires about 200Mbytes.

I thought that it is sufficient to keep the setup.exe file in case of repair (from Add/Remove pgm dialog) unfortunately, the installer asks for the file .msi with a browse dialog and don't accept any setup.exe.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 17:21

If you don't cache, then setup.exe will extract the msi file (and the CABs if you are using CABs) to the temp folder and then launch the msi install from there. Windows Installer will remember that temp folder as instalaltion source.
You could write your own Add/Remove Programs registry entry pointing to setup.exe. But that won't solve the autorepair and update scenario.
So cahcing is often the more robust and user friendly solution. BTW re-downloading may be more expensive than a few MB of hard disk space.
Another option would be to avoid setup.exe and instead use a .msi file with embedded CABs, or ZIP your media directory and let users extract and burn it to a CD, and run setup from there.