This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Updating installation with new component design

9 replies to this topic

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 14:25

Hi all,

in one release of our software from the middle of last year we had a false component design, which leads to a reinstall when the shortcuts of the application are moved.

In newer releases we solved this problem by restructuring the components (each shortcut is now together with its keyfile in one single component).

But in that special case, I wanted to patch the older release, so I've copied the MSI and restructured the components in the duplicated msi.

I would like to know if its possible to make a patch. I don't ship new files or deleted some, I just want a new component design on the customers computer after applying that patch.

Thanks for any help,
Torben

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 18:24

That depends how you changed the component design. For a Minor Update you cannot rearrange the feature-component tree. And you cannot change the key file of a component.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:13

Stefan, this is a little "out of scope" in this thread, but on the topic of minor upgrades. Given that they have so many restrictions and limitations as they have (one of the larger ones being the one you mention), what is your opinion on the usefulness of minor upgrades versus major upgrades? Am I alone in thinking that the upgrade features of windows installer are not quite mature yet?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:49

Minor updates are useful for hotfixes and the like, which don't require changes in logic or stucture of your setup. All you do is replace a few files.
Major Upgrades provide more flexibility but you still have to be careful. For instance, if you put RemoveExistingProducts too early in the sequence, your update will replace existing files even if the are marked as "never overwrite". Major Upgrades are usually being distributed as full install packages, not as patch files (.msp) which makes the download larger.
These are just a few thoughts. I believe that both update types have their strengths and weaknesses, and you should know them to decide which type is best suited for your particular situation.
MSI 3 will include significant improvements and new features for patches. The rules however still apply.

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:41

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2003-11-07 17:24)
That depends how you changed the component design. For a Minor Update you cannot rearrange the feature-component tree. And you cannot change the key file of a component.

Hi Stefan,

thank you for replying.

That depends how you changed the component design.

I changed the design in that way:

customers version with errors

component1: --->> contains a file, e.g. hello.exe
component2: --->> contains a shortcut targeting hello.exe

the redesigned version looks like this:

component1: --->> contains a file, e.g. hello.exe
--->> and contains a shortcut targeting hello.exe, both in one component
component2: --->> is empty now, so I've deleted it.

As you see, I changed one existing components and deleted one. Nothing else was done, the features are unaffected.

But my patch works not as expected and it would make my debugging quite easier, when I know if the basic idea of my patch is ok. When you say that this should work, I now where to look - I hope :-)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:44

You cannot delete a component in a Minor update. If you are using (a current version of) InstallShield perform an update validation which should show you the problem.
Also you could generate a log file of the update install which should include some notice from SELMGR if you broke update rules.

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:47

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2003-11-11 08:44)
You cannot delete a component in a Minor update. If you are using (a current version of) InstallShield perform an update validation which should show you the problem.
Also you could generate a log file of the update install which should include some notice from SELMGR if you broke update rules.

Hi Stefan,

I use WISE for WinInstaller 5.0.

But I will try to redesign my components without deleting the obsolete one and will tell my experience

Thank you for helping

Torben

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:50

Additional question:

I tried my patch on an new system, but while installing it over the normal installation the installer needs the original msi-file. How can that be? I don't want to have to use the older msi-file.
This occurs while he is installing new files. Can it be, that the 'moved' shortcuts are meant by 'new files'?

Thank you,
Torben

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 13:02

You may find some useful information in article "How to Apply a Patch Without Source" at http://www.installsi...msi/updates.htm

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:03

Hi Stefan,

thank you very much for your patience and helpful tipps. I'll check your link :-)

Torben