This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installing on a remote machine

3 replies to this topic

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 20:41

Does any of you have experience launching an installer on a remote machine? possibly using WMI or some other mechanism?

Basically, I want to launch Installer B on a remote machine, lets say machine B from an installer A that is running on machine A. I would assume we will need the following from the user:

* enabling access to a shared directory in machine A where the Installer B msi file is located
* provide IP address/machine name, admin login credentials for machine B where Installer B has to be launched.

How can this be done? I wrote a sample application using WMI API in C++ but that doesn't seem to work - no error codes, but it just won't launch the installer, not sure why. I'm investigating this but any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-rb

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:04

Did you look at the script center examples?
http://www.microsoft...t.mspx?mfr=true

It's VB script, and should give you some ideas. The biggest pitfall is authentication, for instance I can only get this to work using impersonation - and not delegation, as suggested in the samples.

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 18:58

Yes, I tried the example, but not using VBscript. I tried a sample C++ application but it didn't work. As I said in my first post, it didn't return any error code, but just fails to launch the setup and I'm not sure why. There are not that many C++ example code that I can find so its a little bit difficult to troubleshoot the reason for the failure.

Did you try it using C++ app or just VBscript?

Thanks,
-rb

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 22:06

In my case it was actually a 'proof of concept' - that the package had no problem for deployment like this.
I used VBScript, and managed to list all installed packages, to install new packages and remove packages. I had one problem, I couldn't use the delegation method as seen in the samples. This was probably due to the fact that the Windows 2000 domain did not support Kerberos. But it did work using impersonation. As I recall, I did get errors.

I think most problems with WMI are not in the usage of the actual class (in this case Win32_Product) but with authentication. Maybe you can find more C++ samples on other classes (like Win32_Process, enumerating processes on a remote system) and experiment with that to get the authentication right.