This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

self updating application

2 replies to this topic

omwof

omwof
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 10:36

Dear All,
I have an install which installs an application shell, and then subsequent application components.
Thiis works as a parent install and multiple nested installs.

THe parent install is an isdev 8.2 script project, and its children are standard msi files.

I have tried the various methods (CA type 23) and launching msiexec and the latter is more appropriate for my needs except one thing.

I would rather that the sub apps did not appear in add/remove, and if they have to that atleast the remove button was disabled.

I cannot use CA type 23 (system install) as applications which are installed as children appear to be broken if you attempt to uninstall/reinstall them independantly.
This needs to be done as the application should install updates.

Any suggestions or solutions would be fantastic

O Foster
Systems Builder
Interactive Products LTD

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 15:58

You can set the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property to hide a product from control panel. You can set ARPNOREMOVE to disable the Remove button.

omwof

omwof
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:26

Thanks for the advice.
Whilst ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT deals with the issue of the product appearing in the ARP but not the inability to handle nested installs seperately.

when attempting an uninstall for a component that has initially been nested the Installer attempts to find the cached msi from the original source directory rather than the [WINDIR]\Installer folder. THe uninstallation fail

The security on win2k/xp prevents it from being handled separately when ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT is set.

O Foster
Systems Builder
Interactive Products LTD