This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

IE Plug-in with Adobe Reader 6 and Writer 5

1 reply to this topic

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 20:24

I've got a beautiful Adobe Reader 6.0.1 package, exactly how we want it, that also uninstalls our previous version of Acrobat Reader 5.0.5/5.1. However, I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get Reader 6 to play nicely with Acrobat 5 ("full" or "Writer" or whatever-you-want-to-call-it), specifically with regards to the Internet Exploder (er, I mean, "Explorer") plug-in.

Here's what I get currently:

- If Reader 6 is installed after Writer 5, viewing a PDF in IE gives the error "Could not find Adobe Acrobat" (in a window titled "Acrobat plug-in").

- If Writer 5 is installed after Reader 6, viewing a PDF in IE works properly, but uses the Acrobat version 5 plug-in.

- Refreshing Writer 5 after installing Reader 6 over it gives the same "Could not find Adobe Acrobat" error.

I'd love to be able to fix this without messing with the old Writer 5 package, but with self-healing and all it might not be possible. Any tips, anyone? TIA--

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 17:11

John Inge Hanson from the Wise Newsgroups pointed me in the right direction to solve this one... In Adobe's Reader 6.0.1 MSI, the component ReaderRegistryIntegration contains all the registry keys related to file associations with the .PDF extension and controlling the Reader plugin for IE. It has a condition that prevents it from installing if the full Acrobat product version 4, 5 or 6 is installed. Removing the condition allows these associations to be installed all the time.

In our case, the trouble was caused because our Reader 6 package is also uninstalling Reader 5 at the same time, which removed the old associations but didn't apply the new ones, leaving the system with nothing. Heh!