This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer launches unexpectedly, for no ob

4 replies to this topic

rkode

rkode
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:43

Hello everyone,

I found an item titled "Windows Installer launches unexpectedly, for no obvious reason" on this site.

The remarks at the bottom of this article read "There's a known problem in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 which can also trigger an unnecessary repair. For more information and a fix see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 915030. "

I am having a bit (well actually quite a lot) of trouble locating the XP hot fix.

I AM able to download the Windows 2003 hot fix easy enough but can't manage to put my hands on the XP SP2 Hot Fix.

Has anyone actually downloaded the XP SP2 Hot Fix ?
If so, can I ask how you did it and where you found it ?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ray in Wisconsin

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:58

This doesnt answer your question, but have you found out why its launching?

I would check the event viewer before you go and try to find the hotfix.

If that definetly is your problem, you would then try upgrading to SP3. THat might contain the fix if can't find the SP2 hotfix.

rkode

rkode
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 13:24

QUOTE (luke_s @ 2009-07-20 03:58)
This doesnt answer your question, but have you found out why its launching?

I would check the event viewer before you go and try to find the hotfix.

If that definetly is your problem, you would then try upgrading to SP3. THat might contain the fix if can't find the SP2 hotfix.

Thanks for reply Luke.

I HAVE checked the event viewer. (Good suggestion.)
And I've enabled Windows Installer logging so that I might have a verbose log to examine.
Both confirm that no files are missing.

It appears (from the verbose log) that all of the items in the class table of the .msi, are being re-registered. (for some reason.)

I was able to apply Sp3 to one of the failing pcs.
But that didn’t have a positive affect on my issue.

So, I think, that I no longer need to try and acquire the Hot Fix that I was looking for.

Thanks again Luke.

I DO appreciate the response.

Ray in Wisconsin

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:49

Well at least turning the logging on has given you a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure why the class table items are being re-registered. YOu might be able to search for that on google and see if anything else pops up.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:36

QUOTE (luke_s @ 2009-07-22 02:49)
I'm not sure why the class table items are being re-registered.

They're being re-registered because something has walked over them. The Event Viewer will identify the package and the ID (a GUID) of the component which is being repaired. You can then examine the MSI, find the component and then attempt to find out what other package/application is breaking it.

Do you use Conflict Management at all? That would have identified such conflicts before you even got to the deployment stage.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.