This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Small Fix Install

5 replies to this topic

kamur

kamur
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 03:51

Hello,

We are using InstallShield for packaging and delivering and implementing the software onto production environment. Our application contains more than 200Mb of data...we normally do a full install always to be clean and safe...Process has been working great !!

Now we have 'urgent' requests and we make 'very minor changes' in the application...These requests would normally need an 'urgent' install also...We donot have the luxury of packaging/uninstalling/installin the complete software....I know there is an upgrade option..but even that takes some time!!

Is there a solution through which say I should be able to package/uninstall/install in the quickest time? Normally development for such minor and critical fixes take only less than 10 mins...I would not want spending hours for packaging, uninstalling and installing the whole 200MB...Appreciate any quickest solution...Can afford to take some risks also!!

Thanks
Kamur

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:10

I understand your dilema kamur and there are several solutions to this problem.

Batch files are one idea, but of course one shortcoming is you can't read/write registry entries.

IMHO a more complete, but still quick solution is to create a very basic & generic setup project which relies on uncompressed files.  That way you can just swap out the data files and not have to recompile the install.  You can then package it up in whatever manner you see fit--zip, self-extracting EXE, PFTW, etc.  The code for such a project would either rely on your usual setup components or it would just replicate the directory structure & files at the original installation location.

As for uninstalling, would it be feasible to just rely upon the one from your full install?  'cause if so, that would certainly help simplify things.  Otherwise you'll need to backup the patched files, so that the original installation will return to its original state after uninstalling a patch.

I could say a lot more on this subject, but I think this will do for now.  Hope it helps.  Let me know of if you have any specific questions about my suggestions.
user posted image

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 06:29

One can write/delete registry keys using batch files!

You write the entries to be written as a .reg file and call it in your batch with regedit. Use option key  /s  for silent behaviour:
     regedit  /s  YourRegFile.reg

This way you can not only write subkeys and entries/values but even delete them by using a "-".
Example:

[My_Full_RegEntry]
"My_Entry_Name"=-
(to delete the default value, use:  @=-  )

To delete a whole subkey instead of an entry, use:
[-My_Full_RegEntry]

Though you cannot read registry keys/values, at least you are able to write or delete them.

Eberhard

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 03:46

Batch files:

True, there is that way of writing to the registry, but all that really is in an import which means everything's hard coded.  However, I wasn't aware of the delete capabilities, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Also, for a patch install, IMHO, reading is very important. For how else is one supposed to know say the installation directory--short of asking the user or forcing the user to run from a specific location.
user posted image

anjalai

anjalai
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 16:40

Hi Taco,
CAn you please explain more about the delete Registry key as I have to delete whole bunch of entries from the registry key.
Thanks
A

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 01:32

Well unfortunately you can't delete specific registry entries. Only whole keys.

To do the latter though, just open/create a REG file and add a dash in front of the registry path to indicate its removal. Here's a quick example

CODE
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\]

This will then delete the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2.
user posted image