This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Inserting rul files into cabinet

4 replies to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:50

Hi to all,
previous history

I have some old packages inherited from my predecessor, but not their project, that is he left me (for each project) the subtree starting form \Media\:
\Media\
\Media\<b>\Log Files
\Media\<b>\Report Files
\Media\<b>\Disk Images
\Media\<b>\Disk Images\Disk1

where:
<b> = media name

so from:
\Media\<b>\Disk Images\Disk1\data1.cab
I can retrieve components/groups organization by ISCabViewer and shell objects/registry set information too but I can't retrieve neither script file nor string table, skimming over string table, but I should like to take possession of script code!!!

the RUL files are compiled into Setup.Inx, so they are not part of the CAB file anyway

there is not a way to return the original .rul files from the compiled Setup.Inx (unless turning to some hack's job...)

|
|
V

to avoid similar situation in the future, what about inserting script files into media?
I think to create a new component/group which links all project's files.

The pros are clear: into all my CD setup there also will be the script code so in the future I will debug/modify them even if their projects will be lost!

What the cons?

Thanks to all,
ciao Giuseppe

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 11:31

One obvious con is that the source code for your setup is exposed to the world, so your customers could see how to bypass your update checks, etc.  Your competitors could also see how you do your setups if they bought a copy of the product.

Also, if you include more than the RULs/headers, then you may have some trouble with builds due to files being in use and such.

However, I've heard of others taking an approach like this, so you wouldn't be the first.  Also, the Windows Installer does something like this by default.

By the way, you could get a similar result by simply adding a post-build step which copied the files over to the media directory or some media subdirectory.  You wouldn't have to have a separate file group/component.

P.S. An observation ... I'm suprised gronchi with all these questions that you ask, that you're only up to 51 posts.  I would have expected it to be more.  Guess that's because you don't really reply much to threads once you start them.  That's okay though.  Like I said.  Just an obersvation.

user posted image

runningquicklynowher

runningquicklynowher
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 19:54

TacoBell Makes some good points, especially the one about exposing your source code to the world.  The company you work for may have serious proprietary objections to that.

Another solution would to use some sort of Version Control environment/tool such as Source Safe to save a copy of your projects in.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 16:56

Yeah, there are definitely better ways to maintain source--version control software being one of them.
user posted image

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 15:01

Quote (TacoBell00 @ Mar. 10 2003,10:31)
P.S. An observation ... I'm suprised gronchi with all these questions that you ask, that you're only up to 51 posts.  I would have expected it to be more.  Guess that's because you don't really reply much to threads once you start them.  That's okay though.  Like I said.  Just an obersvation.

You're right.
My behavior is a bit un-polite because I start a lot of threads and then I just read all replies they interest me without further message, not even to thank the replier for their help...
In the same way I never reply to other people threads.
I take advantage of your availability and know-how, please accept my apologies, I don't make that for wickedness, just through lack of time.

Regards, Giuseppe