This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Keep a Registry entry

5 replies to this topic

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 21:59

During installation, I create many registry entries.  I do so through the IDE (ISDev 7.02).  When my product is uninstalled, the registry entries are removed.  The problem is, we have a second product that uses the exact same registry key as I do.  This is probably a bad design decision on the part of the developers but I am stuck with the problem.  How do I prevent only certain keys from being removed at the "RemoveRegistryValues" action in the sequence.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Joe

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 22:11

Make a component.  Place the registry key in it.  Use registry key as "keyfile" and use same component (with identical guid) in both products.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 23:55

Hi Ian,

I'm not quite sure I follow you...  When you said "Use registry key as "keyfile"" do you mean to right click it (in the IDE) and select "Set Key Path"?  Also, one important fact I left out is that I am not writing the other installation.  A coworker did and use IS 6.?.  I don't know if they have the same capability or not.

Thank you,
Joe

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 09:49

Yes "key path" is a better way of saying it.

IS6 is not as clever as MSI.  One of MSI design goals with its universal component structure was to solve this type of problem.

You have a difficult probelm if you have one IS6 and one MSI installation.   The IS6 setup is completely ignorant.  The MSI is slightly better because with care in your design it will auto repair if the registry key is deleted by the uninstallation of the IS6 version.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 17:35

Moving to InstallShield 6 forum

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 19:43

I know nothing about IS7, but for IS6 another way would be to create the registry entries in the script and disable logging around those entries.  That way they are not included in the uninstall routines.
user posted image