This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Hybrid or Unified installer for 32/64-bit

3 replies to this topic

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 22:27

Hello-

I have a basic MSI project that installs all 32-bit dlls and exes.

I have help files (online help chms) which I also install. These chms open with hh.exe (a windows component). On a 64-bit PC, this process is a 64-bit process.

The process for locating other chm files is to use a registry entry under:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help.

As such, the 64-bit process looks in the 64-bit section of the registry. My keys that I am adding to support many of my product chms to locate themselves are installed to the 32-bit section of the registry (WOW6432Node using reflection). So I need to install 64-bit registry keys on 64-bit OS.

However It seems as though when I mark a component as 64-bit I then must change my "template summary" setting to be something like "x64" or "Intel64". This will exclude my setup from running on a 32-bit system.

Yes I understand that there is no 64-bit registry on a 32-bit computer. I have install conditions on the 64-bit components to lower the InstallLevel if the computer is running a 64-bit OS. I would think then if I could sufficiently disable all the 64-bit components from being installed, there should be no problems. But I am still forced to change this Template Summary setting.

My question is this, Does there exist a combination of settings that will allow me to have a setup that contains both 64-bit and 32-bit components which will still run on a 32-bit computer?

I understand how to make one install project create 2 separate outputs (one for each bitness) but that is not what I want to do. It is also a requirement to have a single installation for both environments.

I am running IS2010 Premier.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 14:26

Unfortunately, the answer is: No. You can't create a hybrid 32/64 bit msi. This is a limitation of how the MSI technology was designed.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:08

Would a package consisting of a 32-bit parent installation and a 64-bit child installation be the best workaround for compatibility on all systems?

If I had a 32-bit parent install call a 64-bit child only on 64-bit computers, it would do the trick but would it be the correct thing to do?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 14:12

I'm not even sure if it could work technically (loading a 64 msi from a 32 bit msi). But nested install custom actions are deprecated.