This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Constant 1606 errors

7 replies to this topic

Niro28

Niro28
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 09:20

I understand this is a specialty forum, but wondered if someone could help me out.  I haven't had much luck elsewhere.

Everytime I try to install/uninstall any kind of software I get this message:

"Error 1606. Could not access network location <Common Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\"

I'm using WinXP Pro (upgrade from 98se).  

I've racked my brain trying to figure out the problem, but can't seem to find a solution.  Any help on this is appreciated.

Niro28

Niro28
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 06:25

Well, after about a week of tearing my hair out over this *&%$# error, I finally found a solution.  Basically came down to changing a registry value.  Here's the solution:

Solution for the error 1606 Could not access Network Location. <Common Administrative Tools> .All Users\.

1. Startup > Execute... > regedit ---> Accept

2. In the Registry go to:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

3. Common Administrative Tools must have the value: C:\WINDOWS\All Users

4. In the Registry go to:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

5. Common Administrative Tools must have the value: %SYSTEMROOT%\All Users

Hopefully, by posting this it will save some time and aggravation that I went through  with anyone who comes across the same error.  Gotta admit, I learned alot about Xp while researching this problem!

(Edited by Niro28 at 5:25 am on Jan. 10, 2002)

dhall

dhall
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 22:23

Many , many thanks! I had the identical problem and your solution worked perfectly for my PC. Keep up the great work! I never would have been able to figure this one out myself!

Niro28

Niro28
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2002 - 07:10

Glad I could help you out!

Johannes

Johannes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 00:33

Hi ho.

I have the same crappy 1606 error and now added all those values to my registry. But i am usin Win98, so I am not sure, if it works as well.
PLS help me anyone. This really sux.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 18:22

Did you create a verbose log file of your installation?

Johannes

Johannes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 03:08

Jeeeez! Dont BS me with verbose logs or pp. I dont know a jot about instmsia. I get this silly 1606 with frequency. Its not that it only happens from time to time.
If possible, I jusrt want some possible answers...
And U seem to be the boss of the bosses in here ;))) Help me if possible!

Johannes

Johannes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 03:10

Sorry for bein impolite, but i prolly didnt make a verbose whatsoever log file...