This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple Suite projects with the same package payload

Best Answer deramor , 30 October 2015 - 20:51

As an update, as of IS2015, Installshield now has a flag to mark a package as shared.  So long as the package GUID is the same in all the suite projects with this payload, installshield will keep an internal count for this package.  The package will be removed only after the internal count reaches 0.  I have not tested this but this is what the documentation says.

Go to the full post

1 reply to this topic

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 21:58

Hello-

My company handles many different product lines but some tools in these product lines are the same.  I just started to research a suite installer project since we have many items to install with each product line.  Having something to sequence everything for us is  much more appealing than having to do it one at a time.

That said, I have identified some issues we need to resolve before we can implement a suite installer.  However one of these issues centers around the same payloads across product lines.  Suppose I have 2 Suite installers for product A and product B.  Each suite contains some number of packages.  One of these packages is the same.  Product A and B get released on different schedules and it is possible the common package is updated where the other has not had a release yet.  Further, there is no assurances that a user is running the latest stuff.  My question is, how would a suite installer handle this?  Does the common package get marked as "shared" somehow?  What happens when Product A is uninstalled?  Will the common package get removed?

Regards

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 20:51   Best Answer

As an update, as of IS2015, Installshield now has a flag to mark a package as shared.  So long as the package GUID is the same in all the suite projects with this payload, installshield will keep an internal count for this package.  The package will be removed only after the internal count reaches 0.  I have not tested this but this is what the documentation says.