This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Abort installation when DLL function returns 0

3 replies to this topic

IceMan

IceMan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 15:41

I have a function 'shareExists()' that returns 1 of a specific (hardcoded) network share exists, and 0 otherwise. I need to check this before installation can continue. If it returns false, I need to abort installation. I'm used to use InstallScript for setup.exe projects, but now I need to use MSI, and I can't figure it out.

What I think it should be is:
- add a new property to the installation that will hold the result of the dll function
- add an installscript function that calls the DLL function and returns it's value
- set this property from the installscript function : HOW??
- add a custom action that calls this function
- put this action in the sequence : WHERE ????
- abort if the property is false, after the previous custom action was called : HOW ???

Help is appreciated ! Thx in advance !

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:37

Can installscript call an extrenal dll?
if yes then you should use that, if not then you will need to create a custom action.

Your custom action will call your dll function and check its return value, and then return either an error or set a property.

You can then place the custom action to run in the User Interface sequence and have it abort if the custom action fails.

How does that sound?

IceMan

IceMan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:14

Okay, thx. It confirms what I was thinking... Another issue related to this : how do I abort an installation (basic MSI project?)

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:46

In what sense do you mean abort the installation? Can you provide some more information?

You can use
MsiProcessMessage, or you can go to the error dialog