This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Substitute for MsiLogFileLocation property in 2003

4 replies to this topic

Srimathy

Srimathy
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 16:31

Hi friends,
I had created a basic MSI project. I used the property "MSILogFileLocation" for retrieving the log file along with the path and will copy that file to my destination path. This is working fine in WindowsServer2008 operating system.
Where as this property is not supported for WindowsServer2003 operating system.
so when i give any path along with the logfile name through commandline installation, the copying from source path to destination path is not happenning.
Please can anyone help me to know, is there any other property to be used in WindowsServer 2003 to get the value of the path of the logfile.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:42

If you enable logging on the command line, you can specify the name and location of the log file in the /l parameter.
However if logging is enabled in some other way (Registry/Group Policy) there's no way to get the name of the log file. That's why the MsiLogFileLocation property was introduced in MSI 4.0. So you could install the MSI 4.5 runtime on Windows Server 2003 to get the MsiLogFileLocation functionality.

Srimathy

Srimathy
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 13:49

Hi Stephen,
Thank u for your reply.
Yes i had enabled the logging in the commandline.
But there i could give only one location and file name.
What if while installing through commandline, i am giving different log path and log file using the command /l*. Will i be able to retrieve that value from some where. I am using Windowsinstaller 3.1 version. Is that not possible with this version.
Please help regarding the same.
Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 18:43

No, in Windows Installer versions prior to 4.0 you can't get the log file location. That's why this functionality was added in 4.0 smile.gif

Srimathy

Srimathy
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:26

Ok thank you Mr.Stefan.
Do we have any API in vbscript to get the commandline inputs?