This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SharedDLLs and uninstall

1 reply to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 23:20

i'm working on version 4 of a program. there's a bug in the version 3.5 install where it leaves the SharedDLLs counters on several components/DLLs at 2 instead of 1.

when version 4 gets installed i try to set the SharedDLLs counters back to 1 but there are still files beging left behind on the uninstall of version 4.

any ideas? i'm assuming that the registry is cached so eventhough i set the SharedDLLs counters to 1 they're really not at 1.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 19:56

This is the behaviour as I understand it:

If the installer service installs a file that is part of a component that HAS the "msidbComponentAttributesSharedDllRefCount" attribute (8) set, it will increment an existing shared count by one. If no shared count previously existed for the file, the installer will create one with an initial value of:

- one if the file doesn't already exist.
- two if it does already exist.

If the installer service installs a file that is part of a component that DOES NOT have the "msidbComponentAttributesSharedDllRefCount" attribute (8) set, it will increment an existing shared count by one. If no shared count previously existed for the file, the installer will not do anything.

Is it possible that these files existed prior to your installations?

Edited by mandy, 16 June 2005 - 19:58.