This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CAB download

2 replies to this topic

Darain

Darain
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 17:06

Hi there,

I have built a CAB file, an InstallScript MSI project, for users to download and install from a web server. The CAB is separated into two (or more) CAB so that the first part of the CAB can be download fast to initialize the InstallShield setup progress which in turn download and install the main CAB. However, the main CAB is around 50 MB and will take about one minute to download even with the broadband connection in my office during testing. During this time, the web page appears blank doing nothing the whole minute before the UIs reappear and continue the installation when the download is completed, except for the little progress bar in the bottom status strip of the browser showing it is downloading. That means our customers would probably have to wait even longer to see the actions.

I would like to have a more obvious progress bar pop up in the center of the screen telling the users that it is downloading the installer. Are there settings in the InstallShield to let me to do that? Or do I need to write customized Install script to acheive this behavior?

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 18:29

Did you try to build a web media type, using InstallShield setup.exe to handle the download (and provide progress bar)?

Darain

Darain
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:17

Yes, I use <OBJECT ... codebase="MySetup.cab#version=1,0,0,611"> in a HTML page so that this cab file will be downloaded and run. The setup.exe inside the cab will download and install another much larger MyDLLs.cab, which is build by InstallShield together with MySetup.cab, on the same server.

The second part of downloading MyDlls.cab will take more than a minute before the installation interfaces come up again. So the web page stay blank during the whole interval appears doing nothing. What I want to know is if there is any settings in InstallShield to activate a progress bar to show user that it is busy downloading, not doing nothing, to avoid user click on other buttons or close the browser thinking that it is hanged.