This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

install without messages

7 replies to this topic

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 09:16

Hi all
could anyone tell me how I would go about installing on a client machine and specifying I do not want any messages displayed to the user. At the moment I am getting messages for some of my dlls which say "This dll is protected by windows and cant be installed". If you ignore it thats fine, but I do not want the user to see these messages. I tried to put a condition of NOT INSTALLED on the dlls with the problem, but to no avail I still got the messages.
Anybody know what I could do??
I appreciate any replies
Thanks

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 11:05

You had the right idea of not installing components that were already installed but you need a proper condition.

Installed is a property that contains the time of the last installation of a product so it can be used to detect maintenance installations.  This property is not defined for new installations so "Not Installed" will always be true.

Firstly you should look for merge modules for third 3rd party files.  The better ones check for the presence of themselves.

For the other files you will might use AppSearch to set a property for a particular component.  I think it is better to look for a related registry key rather than the file itself.

For some dlls you can simply use a test on operating system because it is safe to assume the dlls are already there for later operating systems. (and older operating systems do not have file protection).

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 15:31

I think you are getting this message box because you are trying to install windows system dlls. Generally in Windows 2000 you cannt replace system dlls which are installed with windows 2000. So, you must put a condition to the component to change its level more than 100 (let's say 150) and put condition to check Windows 2000 system (VersionNT >= 500). This will solve your problem.

Devang.

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 15:40

Thanks Ian and Devang for your advice.
Devang, i know how to put a condition on a component but how do I get it to change its level to 150?
Thanks, I still have a lot to learn at this lark!
Berni

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 16:50

Components do not have levels.  Devang was referring to feature conditions.

A feature condition assigns an install level to a feature.  There is also an Install level for the package.  If a feature has a higher value than the level of the install then the feature is not installed.   The custom setup dialog still allows selection and installation of this feature.

A feature is also not installed if its install level is zero. In this case it is hidden in the custom setup dialog.

I think you are better off with simple conditions on components.

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 12:15

Hi Ian
I tried to put a condition on the component VersionNT < 500. My thinking was that if the clients machine was less than a Windows 2000 OS, the components would be installed otherwise it would nt be installed. However when i tested this on a windows 2000 machine, i still got the message saying these are windows protected files.
Is there something else i need to do to set a condition?
Also, are all the files associated with an OS listed anywhere so that I could check which files I dont nedd to install or not?
Thanks
Berni

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 14:44

I would have expected that to work.

Try "VersionNT And VersionNT=400 Or Version9X"

What does the log say.  After install validate I would expect  something like

MSI (s) (B4:EC): Component: VCDservD.PDR; Installed: Absent;   Request: Local;   Action: Null

As to a list of files under file protection, take a look at <windowsdir>\system32\dllcache.  This usually contains version of protected files ready for restoration. (There can be others).

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 16:08

Thanks Ian, Ill try that  
Thaks a million for all the help youve given me over these last few months.
Berni