This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Not compressing files issue

6 replies to this topic

doubli

doubli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 20:08

I've been using Installsheild 7 (SP4) for about a month now and have a project up and running. Up till now I've simply needed to compress everything and it's worked great

The goalposts have changed slightly, the project is for a commercial product which requires copy protection to be added. We've been asked to make the application exe come out of the cab and sit in the root of the disk image along with a readme.

The application has it's own component called EXE and so, I tried to change the project to

A) Custom Configuration
B) Selected everything to be compressed bar the EXE component

heres where i run into problems. Firstly, rather than the old nice way of one big cab file I get lots of smaller ones. I've tried both sub options for features and components but it doesnt seem to change this

Also, the exe doesnt sit at the same level as these cab files. A dir is created in my disk1 folder which matches the patch which the exe would be installed to

eg a dir is created called

program files/my_company_name/application.exe

So, first problem is making this component not get compressed AND sitting nicely in the disk1 folder and secondly making the rest of the files compress into one cab file again

Please help :) You are my only hope !!

MD

doubli

doubli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 20:09

patch = path ... sorry ..

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:36

I'm not sure if the first is possible. I think it's either "everything in one big CAB" or "everything individually (either separate CAB or uncompressed)"

The second can be done by specifying a Source Folder in the component properties.

doubli

doubli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 13:03

Quote (Stefan Krueger @ Feb. 26 2003,10:36)
I'm not sure if the first is possible. I think it's either "everything in one big CAB" or "everything individually (either separate CAB or uncompressed)"

The second can be done by specifying a Source Folder in the component properties.

Thanks Stefan

The source property for this component is blank, reading the notes it talks about getting the file to go into a subfolder. I dont want that (it's aready doing that by defaulting to the foldernames of the [INSTALLDIR])

How can I specify that it goes to the root of the disk1 folder, do I have to literally specify the full path to that dir on my hard drive

eg

E:\dev\CM4\branches\stable\release\install\Install Shield\app_name\Release\Release Version\DiskImages\DISK1

MD

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 13:06

Try and enter a period .

doubli

doubli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 13:15

I had another idea (to combat the issue I had with the cab files)

To place my_application.exe in the folder where the cab files go manually and add some code

if(CopyFile("my_application.exe", "my_application.exe") < 0) then
 MessageBox("Failed to copy my_application.exe to destination", WARNING);
endif;

doubli

doubli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 12:09

Found a problem with this method now. It doesnt actually ever copy the file

If I dont place the file in the root dir of my installer files, it spits out and error. If I do place it there, it never actually copies it. Am i asking it to go to the right place? It needs to go to the root [installdir]