This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Check for new Update" Dialog

5 replies to this topic

InstallDev

InstallDev
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 23:24

Hi all,
I am not sure if this topic goes in here. I would like to implement "check for new update" dialog in my application. I installed my application using a basic msi project. I am planning to update it with some patches. I would like to look for patches on the server and try to see which one is good. I don't have clear idea about it. Can you please guide me about how to start to do this.
I want to implement something similiar to what update from the web "From installshield" is doing
I appreciate any ideas, suggestions and comments
Thank you very much

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:46

You can use the InstallShield Update Service for this purpose: http://www.installsh.../updateservice/

The Starter Edition of the Update Service is included with InstallShield X for free.

InstallDev

InstallDev
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 15:03

Hi,
Thank you Stefan. I read about the update service. I was wondering if I can implement something like that. I need it to be so simple. We don't want to use installshield update service. We want to do it ourselves. I just want the first few guidlines sothat I can go by myself.
Thank you all

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 16:17

I don't think that there's a simple way to re-invent the wheel. Why don't you want to use the Update Service?

You already know what to do: ping a server (HTTP protocol) to look for available updates, download and install.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 23:34

Have the application send the product code, package code or upgrade code (package code is most specific) to an URL such as:

CODE
http://www.company.com/application/update.php?341234122341234

Hook that page up to a database that contains information about what upgrade is available for that product/package/upgrade code.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 07 September 2004 - 23:36.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 23:34

This command could be invoked from Help : Check for updates, or automatically.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul