This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Updating a component

3 replies to this topic

rideSD

rideSD
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 00:46

Hello,

How do you guys update a specific component?

Before, in a 2 component setup, I disabled one before calling ComponentUpdate(""). This seemed to work since the disable did not "stick" and the logs were intact. Now all of a sudden, the disable call is sticking and therefore messing up that component. Now I have to figure out a way to update that other specific component only.

I tried to disable logging in vain.

Thanks for your help!

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 16:32

Hmm, well in all of my setups (e.g. full, update, patch, etc.), I've always just used the ComponentReinstall(); function since I leave all of the components & file groups intact to avoid these kinds of issues.

Therefore, let me ask exactly how you're disabling this component?
user posted image

rideSD

rideSD
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:11

Thanks for the reply, Taco. My apologies for being vague.

Let me explain a bit more.

I have a 2 component setup. I give the user the option to "update" their current version which basically does a ComponentUpdate(""). However, I do not wish to update one of those components, so in the past, I disabled it using:

ComponentSelectItem (MEDIA, "Comp1", FALSE);

Then, I called ComponentUpdate("");

In the past, for some reason, this call to ComponentSelectItem did not affect the logs and thus retained the installed status when the user ran the setup again. However, recently, it started sticking again and the ComponentSelectItem call falsely set the "Comp1" component as not installed and therefore screwing it up.

I wanted to see if there was a way to update a specific component, so that I would not have to disable one and then run ComponentUpdate or ComponentReinstall.

I hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 14:16

If you un-select a component I would expect that it will be removed. As far as I know there's no way not to update files in a component if the new version has newer files for this component - unless you save the old files and restore them later. If you never want to override this file you could set the component to NEVEROVERWRITE.