This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How can I change the default error messages?

1 reply to this topic

siberian

siberian
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:12

Hi, I would like to know how can I change the error messages of a MSI.
For example, try to install a already installed msi will cause windows to pop up "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel" since it got error ERROR_PRODUCT_VERSION(1638)
and I want to change the message beacuse it is cunfusion.

I know I was supposed to edit msi with orca, open the Error table(msdn claims that), and change the "message" column of error #1638. But my msi's Error table is empty, I tried to add a row, and set its error column to 1638, but nothing changed. It still pops up the default error message.

My msi is just a "normal" msi created by VS deploy project. I have a look at microsoft's sample msi(s), and some of them has a empty Error table too.
Can anyone help? Thanks!

Edited by siberian, 01 December 2005 - 09:14.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 18:10

I'm not sure if this particular message can be overridden, it may be coming directly from the Windows Installer engine. Why would you want to change it?

And if it's possible you would probably have to make the change in the first version you install, because Windows Installer may be taking the message from the msi file that it already has in its cache.