This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Performance of setup.exe

1 reply to this topic

Ram

Ram
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 22:55

Hi,
I ran into Strange performance problem. My installation uses ISDeveloper 7. Once i double click setup.exe, at right bottom of the scree there is a dialog box for showing configuring windows installer.. after that Performing install...., The setup sits there for about 5-10 minutes and does the installation.
Does anybody know what's going during "performing install..." How can i makes this process faster??.
Thanks
-Ram

EricGentry

EricGentry
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 02:03

Ram,

I am not sure it has anything to do with ISDeveloper 7.  As I understand it (no one can really understand without talking directly to the Microsoft developer who implemented it), the entire *.msi file is copied to the installation system's hard drive (in <windows>\Installer).

This is the most likely culprit of the slow "performing install..." dialog.  It can be complicated by slow transfer rates from the source of this file (e.g. over the network, or from a slow CD-ROM drive).

If you selected "Compress all the files", all of the files get put into a cabinet file and then stored internally in the *.msi file.  To avoid this, you could manually build the cabinet file (very tedious), or you could try a new release with all "no file compression".  This option leaves the files out of the final *.msi (significantly reducing the size of the file), and it places the files in their folder paths under the same directory (try it and you will see what I mean).

Good luck,

Eric