This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Small Updates

3 replies to this topic

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 17:49

Hi
I'm a bit confused about small updates.

During the development of my application there are obviously lots of builds where nothing changes in the Installshield project except that the files it is installing have newer dates each time they are built.

When I run the latest build of the I.S. setup on a machine that has the previous version installed I get the 'This setup will perform an Upgrade' message. I click ok and it whizzes through a few screens and finishes.

It does not however install any new files? Is it just caching the latest msi on the machine when it does this?

If i run the setup again it now displays the Modify, Repair, Remove screen.
Do I select repair to install the new versions of the files?

If i select Repair it doesn't seem to install anything new. (Is this because the versions of the files have not changed? Currently the version number is not incremented when a build is done so only the date changes.)

If I select Modify and choose to install a feature I don't already have installed it does seem to install the files i expect (i.e. the newer versions from the latest build)

Am I doing something obviously wrong? Is it the fact that my file version numbers are not incremented?

Any advice much appreciated

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:45

From what you've explained, I believe your issue is the fact that your file version numbers haven't changed. Windows Installer uses its file versioning rules to determine what needs to be reinstalled, and versioned files are skipped if a file with the same version is present on the machine.

Are you using a setup.exe launcher? If so, you may be able to get around this by changing the ReinstallModeText property in your MSI to "amus". The "a" tells the installer to reinstall all files regardless of file version. (Note that this means that all files will be reinstalled, though, with whatever ramifications that may have for you with shared files that could be in use by other applications.)

If you aren't using a launcher, you might try executing the MSI with REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vamus on the command line.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:14

If you are using Launcher to run the MSI, follow up with kathymorey comments. 'This setup will perform an Upgrade' - this message will come only if you are doing a minor upgrade. Are you changing the product verion number? Can you check your upgrade table once? also in the upgrades view of installshield

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:14

Hi Thanks. Sorry for the delay I will be trying out your suggestions as soon as I can.

Sean