This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Rules are meant to be broken...

2 replies to this topic

reflex

reflex
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:57

Does anyone know why Microsoft blatantly break their own component rules?

We use some of their merge modules and frequently we find that the components do not conform.
2 Executables or DLL's per component, no keypath for components that contain files etc.

This gets to be a bit of a headache when clients validate the install pack and want to know why we are breaking the rules... It gets to be a hassle trying to explain that the fault lies with a 3rd party vendor.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 02:42

Yes, this is quite annoying. I am particularly annoyed by merge modules that put COM data directly into the registry table, instead of inserting it into all the proper COM tables. This creates tons of validation errors and it seems to be in a lot of merge modules.

I suppose 2 executables or dll's per component is OK if what you want to achieve is to always have these files installed together. Depends on the purpose. If no keypath is defined for a component I think the folder where the files are installed will become the keypath.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 22:41

I think that Microsoft have finally discovered that some of the *rules* are virtually impossible to avoid so they just slip in the changes and hopes that no one notices smile.gif