This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding files from multiple sources into a single MSI...

3 replies to this topic

naresh13

naresh13
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 01:09

Hi,

I am creating an MSI that uses files from two distinct directory trees. These directory trees can be located anywhere with respect to each other. So I cannot assume any structural relationship, or any naming conventions. I would like to use two ENVIRONMENT variables or public properties, say SOURCE1 and SOURCE2 and copy the files from these two folders to TARGETDIR. I cannot figure out how to tell the MSI Directory table about this. It always ends up trying to work upto a single root for the source files. I will appreciate any help with this matter. Thx!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 07:25

So you are not adding these files to your setup at build time, but you want to use MSI as a "batch file" to copy any files at runtime? I don't think that's covered by the MSI concept. A setup usually has one root for the source (e.g. a CD-ROM or a shared network folder). It may have multiple CDs, and ask for the location of the second CD during the copy process.

naresh13

naresh13
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 18:03

I am adding the files at build time, but the issue is that different people should be able to build the msi on their own machines, and they have slightly different directory structures. So I would like to create a generic msi that allows the user to specify the exact location of source files through two public properties. Now I am stuck at trying to create the right directory table for this scenario.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 22:06

Properties are resolved at runtime not at build time. If you are using InstallShield they have a concept of path vatriables that should help you.