This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

A confusion caused by two Progress Bar

3 replies to this topic

HermioneJJ

HermioneJJ
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:26

Howdy all,
I need to make a Bundle installaion which contain other msi(s) as its sub-installation:
I did it as this way:
create CustomAction as 'New EXE' >> 'Path referencing a directory',and then set 'Working Directory' as 'SystemFolder',set 'Filename & Command line' as 'Msiexec.exe /i "...."',set 'Return Processing' as 'Synchronous(Ignores exit code)';
add the msi(s) to the 'Support Files'
set the CA to in the UI Sequences after SetupProgress.

It can meet my demand and looks like nested installaion...The defect is when the sub-installaion begins, there will be two Progress bar...one is Bundle's, the other is stand-alone's...and if user cancel the stand-alone the Bundle will still be successful( tongue.gif It' OK)...while user cancel the Bundle, the Bundle exits but the standalone will still continue installing( sad.gif That's right,but it may be confusing to the user)

Does anyone know how to avoid the confusion? I want to disable the 'cancel' button in Bundle when the sub-installation begins and enable it when the sub-installation ends.Is it possible?If possible, how?

Thanks in advance!
Hermione Cai

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:34

I think if you change the command line to "msiexec.exe /i /qn..." (launch completely silently), this might help.
  ankur tyagi

HermioneJJ

HermioneJJ
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:34

Thanks antyagi! smile.gif
But I can't use '/qn' sad.gif becuase the sub msi(s) maybe need some feedback from the customers...e.g. if FileInUse,it needs to prompt user to closed it and click "retry" or "ignore"...if use '/qn', the installation cannot get the feedback and it will fail silently without prompting the user
So I can just use '/qr'...reduced UI...so the user can get the information.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:12

You could insert the custom action before the progress dialog.

But please note:
- launching sub-msis from a aprent msi in this way is not recommended
- if your setup is launched in silent mode (/qn) or basic UI mode (/qb) the sub installs will not be launched (because the UI sequence is skepped)

You should better launch these sub-msis from an exe instead of a parent msi(maybe a custom exe, a CD browser, or you could create custom prerequisites)