This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to display an Icon for files associated ?

6 replies to this topic

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:28

Hi,

I wanted to know how to assign a specific icon to the files associated to the product. I got the file association working as expected. The only thing thats not working is, the file with specified extension does not show the icon associated with it.

One more thing I wanted to find out was how to display the product information when you select to open a file with specific program from the list.

Can someone can help me with these problems?

Thank you in advance.
Ashwin.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:32

There could be something else wrong here, but to specify a specific icon you need to add an icon index number after the path to the EXE containing the icon in the file association path. Something like:

C:\Program Files\App\App.Exe,2
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:23

For your second question, do you want to display product information byt right clicking on the product file?? like OpenWith?

Could you explain this in more detail please

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:16

Thanks a lot for your reply. For the second question its exactly what you described. I want to display the information by right clicking as you said using Open with.

Thank you in advance
Ashwin.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:23

To add an entry on the right click button, you need to add some entries into the registry, and then write a program to display the information that is accessed by the right click menu.

For example, a .msi package uses the following

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell

and then all of the subkeys under this are the right click entries.

There might be a table specifiaclly in msi for this, you will have to check.

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 17:59

Thank you for the response. I got the right click part working. Theres a Verb table which can add the commands to the right click menu. But One thing I couldn't figure out was. How to display the application name in the open with list. So when I try to open a file using open with option. My application icon is displayed but theres no text along with it displaying the name of the application.

If you check properties of any file. For example the properties dialog on a excel worksheet shows Microsoft Excel Icon it also says along with it that it opens with Microsoft Office Excel. But in my case I just see the application icon but theres no description of what icon stands for. I dont know how to do that. If someone can help?

Thank you,
Ashwin.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 23:38

Isnt the Command column the detail displayed for the extension?

If that doesnt work, you could always just open the registry key and change the
'Default' data to contain the correct name you require.