This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Update all files in minor update

6 replies to this topic

hdudani

hdudani
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 21:12

I have a Basic MSI project that installs the product. I want the minor version upgrade to compare ALL files and install the ones that have later version/datetime stamp. I change the Package Code everytime.

But this did not work. So I added the following MSI command-line options:
REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

That did not help either.

Any idea how to do what I want? Thanks.

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:37

Hi,

How are you installing the patch (minor upgrade)? I think, u r installing the patch from command line.

Can you provide some additional info?

-Vijay

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 22:51

Look at the File Versioning Rules in the docs. Fle with version number should be updtaed properly (given they are key path of their respective components). Unversioned files are not overwritten based on date of the file in your setup, but only if the existing hasn't been modified after it was installed.

hdudani

hdudani
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 19:50

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-10-17 22:51)
Look at the File Versioning Rules in the docs. Fle with version number should be updtaed properly (given they are key path of their respective components). Unversioned files are not overwritten based on date of the file in your setup, but only if the existing hasn't been modified after it was installed.

In the update installer, I did have files with later versions/dates, and one of those files was a key file in a component. However, none of these were updated. The update installer simply did not do any work. That is why I am confused.

Any idea what is going on,? I do not know any tool to use to debug it on the target machine, like, the msi database for my app on the target machine that can inform me what is being installed.

Thanks.

hdudani

hdudani
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 19:51

QUOTE (vijayakumar @ 2008-10-17 04:37)
Hi,

How are you installing the patch (minor upgrade)? I think, u r installing the patch from command line.

Can you provide some additional info?

-Vijay

No, I am installing using setup.exe. I am passing the msiexec args in the InstallShield build.

Thanks.

nc4ted

nc4ted
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 21:12

Two things:

1) You mentioned you're changing the Package Code every time, and that's good, but you also need to change the Product Version. The package code (as you know) is found in the Summary Information Stream, but the Product version is found in Product Properties. Just change the version number to something higher than the previous version (for example, change 1.2.3333 to 1.2.3334).

NOTE: Just as an aside, it'd be good to keep track of all your builds and their upgrade/product/package codes & product versions on a spreadsheet or something.

2) Also add /L*v instlog.txt to the MSI Command Line Agruments under Releases. This will create a verbose log called instlog.txt in the same directory as your setup.exe.

After making these two changes and it still doesn't work, post that log up here and we'll take a look.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 15:28

In the update installer, I did have files with later versions/dates

Date doesn't matter, but if you incremented the file version number, it should get updated. Generate a log to see why it isn't.