This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Copying files into Per User Targets

6 replies to this topic

ab2cv

ab2cv
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:34

Hi all,

I am trying to packages applications for per machine distribution, but have noticed that a lot of packages want to install files to AppDataFolder. This is a per-user directory and means that the files will only be copied for the administrator who installs the app and no other user. Is there a way to make the files be copied into every users own profile the first time they launch the app (using the msi self healing property or otherwise) ?

Thanks
Alan

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 23:18

Hi,

I've been looking at something similar with the "SendTo" folder. Yes, repair via another advertised shortcut does it but there appear to be some Windows Installer features as well as bugs. Such as Windows makes mistakes during uninstall and deletes the data file from the original user who installed the product and the shortcut from the last one to do a repair. BOTH of these items are in the same component. No other files will get cleaned up. This solution was in work around to other issues, my final solution (which I'm not using for now) is to mark the component as permanent (empty guid component doesn't get repaired). Now on uninstall I get left with a working shortcut rather than a lot of non-working ones...

Bye,
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:06

You can do this by assigning a HKCU registry keypath to the components that are to be deployed per user. Make sure you have an advertised shortcut in the same feature where these per user components are located. When you login as a different user and invoke the shortcut windows installer will kick in and copy the files to the user profile.

It is to be noted that this is apparently not a really good solution, since per-user files should be deployed by the application "on demand", and not by the installer.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 00:05

Note: Per-user installation of user specific files does not appear to work correctly when the setup is installed on a terminal server.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:38

I used a component which either had the file or a HKCU entry (can't remember) however the product was installed per-machine. Windows Installer does not appear to handle this at all well.
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:24

Setting a file in a per-user folder as keyfile for a component is an error (won't validate). Files installed to per-user folders must have a HKCU keypath.

It becomes more and more clear to me that deploying files to userprofile folders is really an application task, and not a setup task. That is you should install the files to a per-machine path and then have the application copy these files to each user's profile folder.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:30

If you want to build an application that shall be installed on a windows terminal server you may never use advertised shortcuts. Otherwise the installer will start up and fail, because users may not install anything.

A good example for the problems arising from advertisement is Microsoft's own Office 2000 package. You have to build a special transform to install it on a terminal server.
h.teichert-ott