This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Conditional install of MSDE?

5 replies to this topic

AlanP

AlanP
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 17:30

Hi,

Can anyone advise the best way to detect if an instance of SQLServer2000 (or MSDE 2000) is installed on the client, and then decide whether a sub-feature (MSDE merge-module based installation) is then to proceed or not?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Paulsen

Jeff Paulsen
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 18:47

I have exactly the same question. I'd also like to be able to find out the instance names of the already-installed version(s), so I could determine wether to add another with my own instance name.

tgebbie

tgebbie
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 20:08

Here is how I detect if SQL 2000 is on the local server:

using Power Editor in the table RegLocator I have the following values:

Signature_ (S72):  SqlPath

Root(I2): 2

Key (S255): SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer

Name (S255): FullTextDefaultPath

Type (I2): 0

And then in the AppSearch table also in the Power Editor I have the following values:

Property (s72): SQLINSTALLPATH

Signature_ (S72): SqlPath (this is from other table)

If the registery key which is the install path for SQL 2000 is on the local system the value of that key will be assigned to the Property SQLINSTALLPATH then you can do a condition check to see if the property length is greater than zero or use the actual install path for something.

I hope this helps.

TDG

Jeff Paulsen

Jeff Paulsen
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 20:31

Thanks! that's great. However, I am enough of a newbie that I could use a little more help.

I have gone a slightly different route - I am using :

key = SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
name = InstalledInstances

and AppSearch then puts that value in a property called SQLCURRENTINSTANCES.

How, then, can I evaluate that property to conditionally install my MSDE feature, or not?

Thanks in advance,

tgebbie

tgebbie
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 20:50

Use the condition builder for the feature and have the condition set as follows:

SQLCURRENTINSTANCES NOT ""

basically as long as the property is not blank install this feature.  

TDG