This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Set up hangs on XP with SP2 on pressing

7 replies to this topic

ppathak

ppathak
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:21

Set up hangs on XP with SP2 on pressing cancel button!!!!

huh.gif

Hi All,

I have prepared a new set up application using install shield version 6.30 .Please note that this works smoothly on XP but the same set up when executed on XP with SP2 intsalled on it hangs under condition:
1.When we press a cancel button in the middle of installation.
This is an intermittent behaviour & is peculiar to SP 2 only..
huh.gif Please help me in finding the solution for it.
Its urgent..

regards,
Priya

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 00:05

As our FAQ describes, only InstallShield 6.31 officially supports XP and has such a selection for the list of valid OSes. Therefore download & install the required update, rebuild your project, and try, try again.
user posted image

ppathak

ppathak
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:17

QUOTE (Taco Bell @ 2005-01-29 00:05)
As our FAQ describes, only InstallShield 6.31 officially supports XP and has such a selection for the list of valid OSes.  Therefore download & install the required update, rebuild your project, and try, try again.

Thanks & Sorry by mistake i had written 6.30 but I am using Install shield version 6.31 only...
please let me know if you have any workaround for this problem
** Also note that this problem does not come when we run the set up in debug mode.
Very Peculiar to XP Service pack 2 only..even On plain XP we do not face this hanging problem!!
Priya sad.gif

Edited by ppathak, 02 February 2005 - 12:53.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 15:18

I'm not sure then, but in general, I've not found the Cancel button to be very reliable, so I've not really expected much when using it on-the-fly like that.

To properly support it in full, one really needs an MSI-based with built-in rollback capability.

Edited by Taco Bell, 02 February 2005 - 15:21.

user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 19:42

Well, I definitely agree with Taco on his assesment of the Cancel button. However, since the user can push it and expect it to work, I have always tried to handle any contingencies in the OnCancel() function. You may want to add code there do rollback anything that may have been done until that point, then allow the IS engine to do it's thing.

But first add code to make sure it gets to that function with XP&SP2.

There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 23:40

Yes, but the problem with trying to handle it on your own Xitch, is that the OnCancel() function only fires under an event-based script and not a procedural-based script like ppathak is using.

See his related post for more information.
user posted image

ppathak

ppathak
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:03

Yes I am using procedural based scrpit so I am finding myself helpless here & the problem never comes in debug mode which makes me azll the more helpless..

Anyways thanx for the response;;
Priya

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 21:00

Yeah I did see that after I had replied to the thread. My only other suggestion then is find a way to hide the button (by minimizing the window or covering it with a splash screen).

But before I did that, I'd check the MSDN website and see if anyone else has reported such a problem with XP.

Good luck
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)